Thursday, February 18, 2010

Jacob and the Lentils

In Genesis 25:34, we read how Jacob gave his brother Esau bread and lentil stew.  In return, Esau gave up his rights of being the first born, passing the rights on to his twin.  After reading this passage to a church group, I left that day, deciding I would make lentil stew for dinner. Take into mind I had never made it before. But, it sounded delicious for a cold, winter day. For some reason, I had dried lentils in my pantry, buying them recently, on a whim. I managed to pull out some brown rice from the same pantry, moving on to the frig to see what vegetables I had. I found celery, carrots, parsley, red onion and garlic.
I put on my pot of water, adding kosher salt, rosemary, oregano, dill seed and some Italian seasoning. As it began to boil, I added my lentils.  Living at an altitude of 7,000 feet, I knew it would take at least 45 minutes for the dried beans to cook. Fifteen minutes later, I added the brown rice and my veggies from the frig, diced up just so.
Soon, wonderful aromas emerged from the kitchen. Because flour tortillas are a staple in our home, they were placed on the table, beside each bowl of the scrumptious stew. The dinner blessing was said, and soon the meal was devoured. I was told by the family I could serve it again anytime (Sometimes I'm not given such a positive message!).
Now that it is the Lenten season, I realize this is the perfect Friday meal. What a history lentils have, going back to the beginning of man. God provided for those living near the start of creation and He provides for us now. He nourishes us not only with food from the soil, but with His love, His care and His Spirit. May we continue to count our daily blessings for all He has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment