Friday, April 9, 2010

FLUSTERY DAY

While Winnie the Pooh talks of a blustery day, it occurred to me that what I had yesterday was a ‘flustery’ day. In my mind, I had my day planned out, which included getting ready for my afternoon class at my church. I would create a guide sheet as part of my lesson, to go along with the video we would watch. My plan was to print up my guide sheet, get everything together for my class, then go over to the nearby pool for a swim before I left for the church. This would give me time to pray, which I do as I swim, leaving me in a very calm and relaxing mood.
My computer and printer had other ideas. A little box came onto my computer screen to tell me there was ‘incompatibility’ with the printer. No, this could not be happening! I needed this guide sheet in order for me to facilitate my class! An hour and a half went by, with me continuing to make my printer and computer friends once again. I became a bit ‘stressed,’ knowing I needed this guideline for my class, with the time now creeping up upon me. Desperate, I called my husband at work, who nicely said he would come home to help me. He never did get my computer and the printer to like one another, but he was able to take my material, transfer it to his computer, and get it printed for me. Now, there were only minutes to spare before I had to rush out the door. Being late are two words not in my vocabulary.
So much for my planned schedule. There was no time for that swim or my prayer time. I put on spiritual music in the car, to get me calmed down. I was flustered, but did not want to be so by the time I got to the church. I settled into the room my group meets, only to find out I left my workbook of notes at home. I could see in my mind exactly where it was, right beside my laptop. I was able to make do, talking to the group for part of the session, saying it was then time to put on the video. I told them how fast the people talked in the video, making it hard to take in all they were telling us; thus, the guide sheet they could easily follow as they listened. At this point, I let out an, “Oh, no! The video is still sitting in my machine at home!” The group had to start laughing, as they know how I am usually too organized, to the point of being obsessive compulsive. It is in my nature to make sure everything runs perfectly.
I said I would conduct the class from the guide sheet, elaborating on each point. As I did so, it brought out unexpected dialogues among the group, ones that would not have been expressed had there been the video. Words said were vital, emotional and quite moving. I actually saw it was good I forgot that tape. Feelings of others would have remained trapped inside of them if there had not been the opportunity to speak. It is much easier to speak out in conversation than interrupting what is occurring on the screen.
A nun once told me there is no such thing as coincidences. This was a perfect example of God being there, taking a part in all of this. He seemed to know that though I was out of my comfort zone, it provided moments for others to step in, sharing beautiful, spiritual, moments with one another. My ‘flusterly’ day ended up being a good one. However, I do hope my printer and laptop will reunite, liking one another forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment