Saturday, July 23, 2011

IDOD:A Cup of Spirituality

IDOD:A Cup of Spirituality

I must share my last night’s dream with you. My husband Tom and I were sharing a little cabin with our two daughters in the small town of Chama, NM. The girls were younger than they are now, perhaps about the ages of nine and seven. Getting ready for bed, they called out from the back room they were ready to be tucked in for the night. I went in to find them all smiles and quite dressed up, wearing pretty jumpers and beaded headbands. Saying how pretty they looked, I asked if they were sure they wanted to have on what they did to sleep under the covers. They nodded happily, telling me yes, that was right. I silently wished otherwise, but I only smiled back and gave them my kisses goodnight.

No sooner had I returned to the front room than the front door opened. A gentleman, hair to his shoulders, rather balding and a mustache curling around his lips walked in, carrying a set of bongo drums. He had on a brown vest, a white, buttoned downed top with the shirt-sleeves rolled up to his elbows, a bolo tie and jeans. Right behind him came a dark haired, dark eyed fellow carrying a banjo, dressed in similar manner, followed by a third gentleman, holding a guitar. My husband had nodded off, not noticing the commotion, which is actually quite typical; he can sleep through anything. I asked them who they were and what they were doing in our cabin. They said it was Chama’s social night and this was the cabin where everyone met. They walked on to the back room to get the music ready, much to the delight of my daughters, jumping out of bed, since they were most appropriately dressed for the occasion. Though it was odd to have them walk in, it did seem most natural to have them there.

More musicians came, as did the people of the town, all most cordial, saying hello to me as they walked by. I noticed everyone wore a circular button, about 1 ½” in size, pinned on the left of their clothing, near the chest, with four capital letters posted on it, IDOD, written in blue or red, against a white background. Curious, I asked what the word meant. An elderly man, dressed in a western shirt, said, “You know, none of us know. We were asked to wear it all the time, so we do.” More chimed into the conversation saying that was right, that they were always trying to figure out what it meant, but no one had “gotten it yet.” I was not sure who it was that asked them to start wearing the pin, but I threw in my own guess, of saying “Maybe it stands for the ‘International Discovery Of’ something.” They looked at one another, saying, “Yeah, maybe so. But what could be that something?” I was as puzzled as they were, as the subject changed to other topics, such as the arts and crafts tables being set up right there in the front room, with my husband still sleeping away.

Standing to the side, leaning against a waist high built-in counter, I saw a boy, wearing a deep blue with red striped short-sleeved shirt, the IDOD pin, khaki shorts below the knees, high top tennis shoes with the tongues sticking out and the untied shoelaces. I asked him how old he was. As he slung his bangs out of his eyes, he quietly said he was 11. His mother appeared out of nowhere, her in a lime green sleeveless dress and IDOD pin, saying the two of them had been in a car accident that day, for him to show me his ace bandages, on his ankle and elbow, which he did. She was still unnerved by “that other driver,” showing me her bandages, talking away about what he had done as she left the room, her son following her to join the music.

At this point, I was startled awake. For several seconds, I could not figure out where I was, as my dream had been so real. After I grasped my surroundings, I wanted to see if I could go back to see what would happen next in this two room cabin. I got comfortable on my pillows, took a tug at the covers, and said to myself to go inside the door of dreams. At that, I suddenly smiled;IDOD.

~Marie T. Morrison~

No comments:

Post a Comment