Thursday, December 10, 2009

ADVENTUROUS

ADVENTURISM
I was thinking in the night (frequent insomnia here!) about my Uncle Robert. He was in town visiting the family.  We went out to eat, where the server told us the special for the evening was frog legs. After he went on, Uncle Robert told me it would be great to order frog legs, that it was fun to be adventurous. That was enough for me. The server took my order of frog legs. He next asked Uncle Robert what he wished to eat. He said he would like the steak.  I turned to him, surprised, saying he had just told me it was fun to be adventurous.  Yes, he said, he did say that, but he did not mean he would be! It was my first laugh of the evening, as he continued to keep me in hysterics about college times with him and my dad, who had been his best friend, in the late 1940s. I heard of how the bread truck driving in front of them  lost loaves of bread on the road, not knowing the back door had flung open.  They grabbed the bread, going from door to door to sell their bread. Another story was of their return from nearby Juarez, where one buddy was more inebriated than the others. They put him to bed, deciding to shave his head, with the friend never waking up.  The fun didn’t stop there; they carried his bed, with him in it, placing it on the lawn, in the middle of the campus.  They stayed there with him, waiting for the response when he woke up. As the sun glared on his face, he woke up, looking around, completely confused on how he got there.  Bewildered, he began the gesture of running his fingers through his hair, discovering the next surprise, of the shaved head. Shocked and wide awake by now, he was yelling profusely while Uncle Robert, my dad and others were screaming in laughter.  What a wonderful evening I had, as one story after poured out.  Of course, my father had not told me about these times, so it was fun to see his close friend of many years spill the beans. To think they stayed friends all their lives, with his sister later marrying my dad, is such a treasure. Friends are a treasure.  I wonder how many of us can say we’ve stayed friends with those from so long ago. Maybe this is the time to find out where they are today, surprising them with a call. With the Internet access, it is easy to find so many ( I just discovered whitepages.com!). If there had been a parting of the ways so long ago, what better time to forget the past and rediscover those precious times. Remember the Holy Spirit is there, giving you all the courage you need to pick up the phone! Oh...and for those frog legs?  I had more fun picking up the legs, feet attached, showing them off, getting groans out of others, than eating them!

No comments:

Post a Comment