Wednesday, January 6, 2010

PUTTING AWAY

I took down the Christmas tree today, with its withered branches and dried needles collecting on the floor.  It is always hard to take it down, so full of memories. I see  play dough ornaments and Popsicle stick stars made by the children years ago.  I look at the small, carved hummingbird we bought on our first date, and others given to us as wedding presents.  I admire the lovely trinkets presented to us through the years from dear friends and decorations passed on from generations before us. Each child has his or her own list of meaningful ornaments, so they may take those special ones to their own homes one day, ready to start their own family’s tree. It is a bittersweet moment, as I place decorations into their own boxes.  I remember why each was a unique adornment for this child, from the time their tiny hands were holding it up in wonder.. Generations will pass away, but the stories, the laughter, the tears of excitement and the love of tradition will never end. Faces will continue to light up as memories are brought alive, just as the Spirit lights up our souls with His radiance every Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment