Wednesday, May 26, 2010

THE WRONG NUMBER

Not long ago, I answered the phone, with caller asking if a Sandra was there. I immediately recognized the voice on the other end. She and her husband were on the same educational tour I took of Europe, nearly 30 years ago. After the tour, we stayed in touch through handwritten letters, as there was no e-mail back then. In time, our lives got busy, losing touch with one another. I always wondered how she and her husband were doing; now she was on the other end of the phone!
I told her this was not Sandra’s number, a neighbor of hers in Texas, but Marie, a person from the tour so long ago. She is in her eighties now. It took awhile for her to recall who I was, but after a minute or so, all the memories of our three weeks together returned.
Neither one of us know how she called me, as it wasn’t close to the number she was dialing, much less being in the same state! It was a joy to visit, though bittersweet, as she told me of her husband’s passing three years ago. The love story she told me that day, of the two of them, brought tears to my eyes. She was with him until his last breath, speaking of their love for one another until he shut his eyes for the last time.
I promised her I would send her a photo of my family. She got a giggle in her voice, saying that only ten days before, she had pulled out my letters from the past and photos I had sent. She, too, was wondering how I was doing, as she read the letters from long ago. Now, here I was on the phone, by her dialing a wrong number! Both of us said God had to have a part in this.
She did not get to reach Sandra through her phone call that afternoon. Rather, we both received an unanticipated joy, flooding us with beautiful memories. Tears and laughter shared reminded us just how precious and dear life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment