Monday, May 24, 2010

THE NICEST

Isn’t a fun to receive something from someone at the least expecting moment? It happened to me not once, but twice, this weekend.
It happened on Saturday morning, as I settled into my place to sit at a Confirmation ceremony, held at our Church. After the sweet man beside me helped to position my wheelchair at the end of the row of chairs, I noticed the couple behind me.
I had just met the couple’s 16-year-old daughter the week before, her aunt being a friend of mine. She and her mother told me she was to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation the following weekend, choosing Saint Rita as her patron saint. I replied by saying I would make her a necklace holding a medal of the saint. I saw her beautiful green braces as she smiled to this idea. I asked her if this was one of her favorite colors; it was, with pink being another favorite color. Already, I began an image in my mind what design I would create.
Finishing it on Thursday, I called up her aunt, to say I had it ready. She came by for it, saying her niece would love the tiny, faceted, pastel green and pink Czech glass beads, with the tiniest of sterling silver beads mixed in. The Saint Rita medal was at its center. She planned to present it to her Friday night, the eve of her Confirmation.
I turned to this couple, asking them if she was pleased with the necklace. I first must tell you that the Church is large, holding 1,000 people. To pick the place I had to sit was an amazing coincidence that they were right there behind me. However, as we all know, it really is not a coincidence; it’s God being busy having these little things happen. Their daughter was not with them, as she was being part of the procession into the Church. The mother responded that her daughter loved it, crying that though I had only met her once, for three minutes, I would make the necklace for her. The mom handed me a bouquet of flowers and a thank you card, saying they were from her daughter. It was my turn to cry; I had no idea I would receive such beautiful gifts. I feel blessed to have this teen in my heart!
On Sunday, while in Church for Mass, a woman stopped me as a rolled by her seat. She wanted to visit a few minutes before the ceremony was to begin. I had her daughter as a religious education student for several years, always staying in touch as she and her brother, another student of mine, grew up into lovely teens. Her husband reached over and handed me this beautiful long stemmed rose, fashioned from a material looking like glass. Again, I was taken aback, not anticipating a gift. The woman said they saw the rose and said it immediately made them think of me. I felt blessed again, God surrounding me with wonderful people.
It was the nicest treat, others showing gestures that still have me smiling. They will never know how much they mean to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment