Saturday, November 28, 2009

MUSTARD

One of my favorite stories to share is of the summer I asked my husband to plant some mustard in our garden.  Being the sweet husband that he is, he obliged, planting the tiniest of seeds in the front rows of the rich soil. I eagerly awaited for the plant to sprout, thinking of one of my favorite pieces of Scripture, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can move mountains.  Nothing is impossible!" (Matthew 17:20) I had never seen a mustard plant before, so I did not know what to expect. In the process of it growing, I was most excited, waiting for the outcome of  what this little seed could produce. My excitement began to wane though, as the plant kept growing and growing.  Soon, I could see the mustard was growing taller and wider, as if it was a bush. Before I knew it, it had taken over the garden, reseeding on its own, bushes with large blossoms everywhere. All I could see were  mustard plants, smothering out any other plants in the flower beds. I was now begging for my husband to get rid of the stuff. He kept laughing, saying I was the one who wanted it in the first place. The following summer, he asked if I wanted to plant mustard again.  I let out a resounding "No!" But, through this experience, I could now see how having faith as small as a mustard seed can bury us deep in our faith, as we grow through the actions of the Holy Spirit. Nothing will stop us. Instead, as we nurture the seed of the Holy Spirit, reseeding our newly found wisdom each year , we can spread our love for the faith God has given each of us. We will not let go of it, wanting to always spread the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment