Friday, January 15, 2010

BAGS AND HAITI



As I have watched on television the tragedy occurring in Haiti, I am awakened to how poor this country is. We take for granted what we have in our lives. Right now, I am sipping my cup of tea on the couch of soft pillows, pleasant music playing, books surrounding me, feeling cozy as I look at the snow outside my window.  A whole world away, there are thousands of Haitians wandering aimlessly, not knowing where to go. Lost are their homes, but more profound is the loss of family. Shown are survivors carrying  their sole belongings atop their heads in makeshift bags, as they scurry down a road filled with vast destruction. I look at their bags, basically a large sheet, twisted together at its top in a large knot. I see it is no larger than my kitchen trash bag.  Such a shock, to see how my trash gets filled to the brim daily with discarded items, not making a dent into the amount of contents  I own. I feel shameful.  I pray to our God, to let them know He is there to feel their loss. My prayers also ask for Him to share with me how I can help, as I have the sensation of hopelessness. I will fast today, only eating a bit of food so I may understand what little they have to eat. Instead of buying a book I have been wanting, I will donate that same amount to their cause. I will light my candles, praying they will feel the light of God and his Spirit as they drift aimlessly down another beaten path. Please, dear Lord, allow them to have the feeling of hope as they struggle through the horrendous settings surrounding them. From those surroundings, may they feel your warmth, protecting them as they make it through the toils of another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment